[Amps] interesting statement in Dishtronix

Leigh Turner invertech at frontierisp.net.au
Mon Nov 19 19:23:21 EST 2012

Not Freescale parts Jerry, but the capable ST Micro SD2943 RF MOSFETs that
typically yield circa 400 Watts per device. I'm using four devices in
parallel push-pull per nominal 1200 Watt module; two 1200 Watt modules with
their outputs combined, so total of 8 FETS to conservatively produce the
nominal 2400 Watts. The maximum achievable Po is limited by the switch-mode
supply's Ampere capability!

Each module has the 4 device flanges on a 13mm x 220 x 300mm copper slab
heat spreader that bolts to a large aluminum finned heatsink that's cooled
with a whisper quiet low velocity 300mm long tangential cross-flow blower. I
think many commercial QRO S.S. amps skimp on the important thermal design
aspects, as well as the control and protection circuitry.

Yes indeed, I like my trusty old Kenwood TL922 amp with its pair of 3-500Z
instant-on thoriated tungsten filament tubes for that very same reason!

Cheers,

Leigh
VK5KLT