[Amps] 300 W single band mobile amp needed

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Oct 7 22:58:49 EDT 2012

On 10/7/2012 9:36 PM, Charles Harpole wrote:
> Could a motorcycle electrical system have enuf power to run such an
> amp?

Probably not except for short transmissions.

>  Even if so, would you want that much RF on an antenna mounted on
> your bike?

Not me, I have an implanted defibrillator.

> What is the RF power output of the in car radios of police and EMS ?

I don't k now about today's, but I had a number of mobile units that ran
up to about 140 watts.  I think they were set for around 90 to 100 in
actual use.

> What about the output on the rubber duckie on top of the hand mic,
> clipped to the officer's epaulettes?

IF and I emphasize the "if" there really is a problem they are likely
running very close to where the RF has maximum effect and that is likely
not a good place for the antenna.

OTOH many of us have hundreds of hours total using the HTs with the
antenna right next to our heads.

73

Roger (K8RI)