[Amps] (no subject)

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 22:54:11 EDT 2012

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 16:41:49 -0700 (PDT), Douglas wrote:

>Tnx for your comments Bill, let me rephrase the question, I would like to
use the chassis mount resistors which are the resistors mounted inside yellow
finned aluminum housings and can be mounted to the chassis with 2 fastners.
Since the chassis is usually grounded I wonder If there is enough dilectricbuilt
into the resistor to handle the 2300volts to ground. All my previous amps have
used the ceramic wirewounds with standoffs. The filter cap is 32 mike @6000 and
the bleeders are 4 with a value of 25k at 25watta,....tnx Doug

REPLY:
That type of resistor is made by several manufacturers and they each have their
own specs. You'd have to consult the manufacturer's data sheet. Personally, I
would not trust the insulation in them to withstand that much voltage even if
the mfr says it's ok. I tend to be very conservative in those things.

Also, I would suggest using a much higher value for the total bleeder unless you
want to discharge the cap quickly for some reason. Values around 500k will
discharge the cap to a safe level in about two to three minutes and waste much
less power.

73, Bill W6WRT