[Amps] AL-1500 update & vacuum relay conversion

Réjean Léveillé releveille at videotron.ca
Tue Sep 4 18:58:34 EDT 2012

I am planning to buy an used an Ameritron AL-1500dx bought late 2008. The
owner told me that he almost never used it due to TVI and it was stored
since then in his basement.

I will buy the EBS (electronic bias) from Ameritron with the latest update
for a faster recovery.

Any special area where I should look, band switch, unload HV voltage ...

I would like to install 2x vacuum relay with a fast relay for the bias. I
know that I will need to buy or to build 24 dc power supply for the relays.

I don’t want to install  Ameritron QSK board, seen the specs are a way too
tight for +1500 watts like cw and rtty contests and it needs a perfect 1:1
impedance match.

AL-1500 schematic is terrible to follow, anything to do with the grid
overload circuit, I just cannot find what it will open.

Do I have to take that in account with the new 24v relay for Amp-in?

I will monitor the timer if it was long enough, 120 s is it good or 180 s is
a must?

3cx-1500 tube, should it have Teflon chimney? If yes is-it tall enough or to
buy a new one (supplier)?

Original blower is around 26 cfm, I plan to reduce the noise this area with
some insulation material.

Any replacement for rtty duty?

A research brought me no result anyone could link me to a site for my
project and parts?

I work in industrial-medical electronic field and I know how to keep my
safety at high level.

Thank you

Va2am, Rejean