[Amps] High voltage rectifier / capacitor board material?

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Thu Sep 6 20:34:45 EDT 2012

G10 FR4 is the material used in circuit boards.  One source of
properties is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR-4

If you Google "FR4" you'll find a LOT more.  For higher temperature
applications you want something with a high Tg.  This is the type of FR4
laminate used for RoHS (lead-free) compliant PC boards.  A higher Tg is
necessary for RoHS compliant boards because of the slightly higher
processing temperatures.

Since the original poster is from the UK I would imagine that most of
the laminate available there is higher Tg anyway.

Where to get some?  I'd make a call to one of the larger PCB fabricators
in your area and tell them what you want.  I'd bet they will have some
scrap to give you and/or would be able to help you find some.  Just make
sure you tell them you're looking for UNCLAD material...otherwise you'll
have to remove the copper on one or both sides.  Here in the US it's
readily available from numerous non-PCB fabricators as well.

There are other more exotic PC board substrates available (Polyamide,
Teflon, Ceramic/Alumina, etc) but it's REALLY expensive and scrap is
tough to find.  FR4 will likely do the job for you.

On 9/6/2012 7:06 PM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> [...]

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com