[Amps] Pulser

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Sep 10 21:44:03 EDT 2012

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:00:52 -0700
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242 at yahoo.com>
To: AMPS <amps at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pulser

I really don't understand why anyone feels the need to use a pulser for tuneup.

If your amp can't do full power for the few seconds needed for a tuneup, you're
pushing it too hard anyway, IMO.

73, Bill W6WRT

##    The problem is, for those 1st few secs, the typ (esp new)  ham has it off resonance.
IF the amps were built right, with calibrated tune and load controls, then we could all just
dial it up by the numbers.  Old amps like heath  etc, don’t even have vernier drives on their
tune caps.

##  I wouldn’t be tuning up any SB-220 or L4B with a 800 ma dead cxr any time soon.
Nor any ameritron 811a  amp nor their AL-80B amp, etc.   That stuff is designed for  ssb,
low duty cycle use, including tube cooling, tubes, xfmr etc, etc.

### I use turns counters that have a 0-100 scale on the skirts.  Not only can I dial up
a particular turn,  I can divide each turn into 100 increments.  Now that’s on HB amps,
with vac tune + load caps.   A buddy recently  retrofitted jackson bros  6:1 verniers
into his SB-220, for both tune and load.   They are calibrated 0-100  across the upper
180 deg arc of each skirt.   That mod alone, makes tuning the sb-220  a heck of a lot easier,
esp on the upper bands.  Each JB dial drive  has a 2” diam skirt.   They also make em in
bigger diam skirts.

Jim   VE7RF