[Amps] SB-200 Repair?

Bob Arenella rja12 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 12 09:50:11 EDT 2013

Picked up an SB-200 amp at a recent hamfest.......I already have an Alpha 86, but the guy was only asking $40.  Good cosmetics, and a once over top to bottom shows nothing zorched.  Removed the tubes, and brought it up slowly on my variac.

All went ok till the meter showed about 800-1000 volts,  then SNAP, SNAP.  Did a top and bottom visual in the dark, couldn't see anything.  Unsoldered the PS output to the plate choke, no joy.  Lifted one side of the transformer secondary and all was fine.

So, probably bad caps and / or diodes.  Just replace the diodes / caps with modern parts or go for the Harbach replacement?  I did notice the bleeders got awfully hot.....why did heathkit use such a low value for these?

All opinions welcome!

Tnx & 73 de bob,
N2OAM