[Amps] More instability problems

Vic K2VCO k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 11:47:04 EDT 2013

I remember that it is a 4CX1500 or 4CX1000 but I don't recall the configuration -- was it
cathode-driven or grid-driven?
You certainly do NOT need a tuned input if it is grid-driven class AB1. The 50-ohm load
provided by the resistor should provide a perfect match to the exciter, and the impedance
won't change if there is no grid current (even if there is some, it will be swamped by the
resistor). All you will need is some compensation for the input capacity of the tube on 15
- 10 meters.
In this case, maybe the swamping resistor is intermittently open? If it is a thick-film
type (looks like a transistor except only 2 leads) then it needs to be adequately
heat-sinked or its power rating goes way down.
If it's cathode-driven, I am not sure why you would need a 50 ohm resistor. In that case,
you WOULD need a tuned input.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA