[Amps] More instability problems

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Tue Apr 16 12:35:52 EDT 2013

It is a 4CX1500B, cathode driven.

Screen: direct to chassis.

Grid: RF grounded, 6000 pF (3 x 2000 pF). Bias currently fed through
150 ohm resistor with bypass/feedthrough cap

The 50 ohm RF load resistor on the input was put there to help
provide a more predictable load for the exciter and to swamp some of
the excess drive.

The configuration can be seen here:

http://www.n1bug.com/tech/4CX1500B-6m/6m4CX1500Bsch-hires.jpg

That is my 6m amp but only component values differ between it and
the problematic HF amp. I never got around to drafting a schematic
for this HP amp.

A friend suggested converting the amp to passive grid driven
configuration. That should be simple enough with the exception of
getting the resistor network / drive level right without having a
large stock of parts to experiment with.

Paul

--
Paul Kelley, N1BUG
RFI Committee chair,