[Amps] Input tuning, 3-500z

Jim Valdes jvaldes at whoi.edu
Thu Feb 21 09:30:33 EST 2013

I'm working on an older Henry 2K-3 (2 x 3-500z) amplifier. On a few
bands the best SWR I can achieve on the input side is above 2:1. In the
days of tube finals this was fine for the exciter however the solid
state transceivers don't like this.  I understand how to tune the output
with no power applied to the amplifier, can the input be tuned in a
similar fashion? How do you determine the input impedance? What is the
correct procedure? I've located a couple of schematics for other 3-500z
amplifiers, but the input circuits vary significantly. The Henry used an
L on 10m and Pi networks on the other bands with tunable inductors.
Any suggestions?

Jim, WA1GPO