[Amps] Why always one parasitic suppressor per tube?

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 12:18:14 EST 2013

>From the off-list responses, I get the impression that the common practice
of using one parasitic suppressor per tube is just "habit", that is, "But,
we've ALWAYS done it that way!".  This is regardless of how well the
components are laid out for minimum lead inductance, etc.

I suppose commercial amplifier manufacturers do it because there would be
no end of negative press if they left even one parasitic suppressor out.

Earlier handbooks, etc, show plenty of amps with different tubes with no
parasitic suppressor at all, and that's what I'm going to try. The pi-net
tuning cap is very close the the anode connections (there's almost no room
for parasitic chokes) and all the leads are 1/2" wide copper strap. If we
get a VHF parasitic oscillation, then I'll start with just one for both
tubes.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com