[Amps] Panel lettering

Bryan Swadener bswadener at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 19:48:01 EST 2013

Labels tend to look like labels, no matter how hard you try.
For dry-transfer "rub on" lettering, look for drafting, 
graphics, or hobby suppliers. The last time I bought any,
I found it in the drafting supply section of my local
university book store.  After applying lettering, use
satin or gloss (depending on panel finish) clear spray
to protect the lettering. That workes nicely when
modifying existing artwork.
Another technique not mentioned is to create the graphics
using a drawing program and then have a screeen printing
shop apply it to your panel.  This works very well for new
panels, and allows you to do MUCH more than just lines 
and text.  My favorite program for this is Visio but there 
are others.
vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 02:13:02 -0500
From: Bill Fuqua
Subject: Re: [Amps] Panel lettering
The newer tapes are easier to deal with.
The backing is cut down the middle so you simply fold the
tape along the center line and thebacking halves pop up.
They must have gotten lots of complaints.
The older tapes were a bear to deal with.

At 09:09 AM 1/1/2013 -0600, Robert Logan wrote:
>I also use a Brother Label Maker and it is excellent.  It also makes 
>labels in various sizes and fonts.  It's a little pesky to separate the 
>label from the plastic
>Sent from my iPhone
>On Dec 31, 2012, at 11:27 AM, "Chuck Curran" <ccurran at wi.rr.com> wrote:
>Another alternative you might want to consider is simply going to an Office
>Max or Office Depot and buying a Brother label maker.  I used this approach
>on my last Linear, built 4 years ago and these labels are still perfect.  I
>chose to use a clear label and print black lettering onto it.
>The labels come in a cartridge, something like scotch tape.  The "tape" is
>available in a variety of types and styles and you can then print in several
>colors too.  Just Google Brother Label Makers and you will get back many
>alternative paths to investigate.  Most of the P-Touch series are what I
>have used, and they go on sale at 50% off every 3-4 months.  I bought mine
>for $19.95 as I recall.  Find an on-line source for both the printer and the
>label stock, far cheaper than a local place.
>Good Luck,
>Chuck  W9POU
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Charles Bibb - K5ZK
>Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 11:11 AM
>Subject: [Amps] Panel lettering
>Can someone on the list point me in the right direction to find some
>lettering for the front panel of my latest HB amp?
>I used to buy "dry transfer" or "rub-on" lettering at Radio Shack (I think
>it was), but they don't carry it now.
>I'd like to find packs of lettering with a "radio" or "electronics"
>theme, making it easier to do whole words or phrases.
>I've looked on ebay, but haven't found anything satisfactory. Maybe I'm
>using the wrong search terms.
>Any help?
>Charles - K5ZK

More information about the Amps mailing list