[Amps] Ameritron AL-1500 inquiry

Jim W7RY w7ry at centurytel.net
Thu Jan 24 21:45:12 EST 2013

The QSK mod is not only for QSK.

It also makes the relays nice and quiet! And also very fast. This keeps the
amplifier from hot switching and prevents arcs in the tuning capacitor and
worse, the bandswitch. This has been observed in a Drake L4B, Kenwood
TL-922, Heathkit SB-220, Heathkit SB-200 and Ameritron AL-82. Even running
RTTY contests, the TL-922 at 1000 to 1200 watts out, never missed a beat and
never arced when tuning on 20 and 15 meters.

If you hate noisy clanking T-R relays like I do, this mod is for you. Noisy
clankey relays is why I came up with these boards in the first place.
Having the amplifier never arc again in the plate cap was a HUGE bonus!

On other reason... Was that a couple of friends from Spokane, wanted me to
modify their Kenwood TL-922 amplifiers for QSK. I did, but had to hand build
a perf board for the QSK switching circuitry.

I said "There has to be a better way"!  The W7RY QSK Board was born.

73
Jim W7RY