[Amps] Advice needed for SS amp

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Thu Jun 6 07:04:56 EDT 2013

Agree!

I bought a rack mount assembly which has 6 - 50v @ 50 A supplies in it.  3 x 3 in parallel.   I only need to run one for legal limit.

As far as heat removal, it's not too difficult of a problem to solve with attention to detail.   I've long said, and been long shot down, that there isn't much difference between tube cooling and ss cooling.  If you look at a 3cx800, most of the tube is actually the "heat sink"  The ceramic part of the tube isn't really much bigger than a transistor, it is just shipped with it's cooling mechanism from the factory.  For solid state, it's up to you to build that cooling yourself.

With 1 x BLF578XR you can easily run 1200 watts at 144 MHz.  Is it "continuous"?   I haven't tried it, but 1"15' off and 45' on for wsjt it runs fine for hours.

With 2 x BLF578XR you can easily run 1500+ watts at 144 MHz and use "forced" air cooling with an array of muffin fans.   If you wanted, there is no reason you couldn't you a big blower to move even more air.

Paul