[Amps] Power Factor correction

John G3UUT amps at grebe.plus.com
Fri Mar 8 18:37:26 EST 2013

I'm mainly interested in this subject because I like operating portable
with my Honda Eu2000i  (about 2 kVA) generator.  This is an excellent
generator, I can lift it without giving myself a hernia and being of the
invertor type it has excellent regulation and a perfect sinewave.  The
problem is that I can hardly get 300 W out of my GS35B 6m amp which uses
a large toroidal B+ transformer before the generator objects, A GS31B 6m
amp with a smaller toroid actually gives more output and my L4B does
much better (into a dummy load) on the HF bands .  The high peak current
due to the rectifiers clearly upsets the generator but it's interesting
that the transformer design also has a significant effect.  I've now
actually come to the conclusion that the best answer to this is going to
be a solid state amp with a PF corrected PSU.  However you have to be
careful as some of the current commercial SS amps still have linear PSUs
e.g. Tokyo Hy-Power and Beko.

I'm still don't understand the EU PF specs - Peter thanks for the
document which tries to simplify this, I've read it three times and it
seems to contradict itself and I'm not much wiser.  I'm really glad that
I don't have to read these EN specs for a living.

73 John G3UUT