[Amps] Honda 2000i Portable Use

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Mar 8 19:53:29 EST 2013

On 3/8/2013 3:37 PM, John G3UUT wrote:
> I'm mainly interested in this subject because I like operating
> portable with my Honda Eu2000i  (about 2 kVA) generator.

Hi John,

There are a lot of Honda 2000i generators in our contest club (based
near San Francisco), and we use them for California QSO Party county
expeditions. We typically run a K3 driving power amps in the 600W range,
have three stations going, and dedicate one Honda to each station.  So
far, over a period of about four years, our group has used Acom 1000,
Herc II with  an industrial-grade 100A switching PSU, Elecraft KPA500,
and a vintage Yaesu amp in that power range (not mine, don't know if
it's hollow state or solid) .  All of these amps have run just fine on
both CW and SSB for the duration of the contest (about 30 hours, as I
recall). With this load we must run the Hondas at full speed (that is,
not Econo Mode). The KPA500 has a linear supply that can be strapped for
120V or 240V and is happy with 50 or 60 Hz.

We also find it important to run the generator output cable through a
good ferrite choke to kill RF noise.

Honda 2000i generators sold in North America have inverters that provide
120V out.

73, Jim K9YC