[Amps] chassis maker?

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sat May 4 20:28:18 EDT 2013

One of my last jobs before retiring had a nice prototyping shop complete
with a 48" brake with many dies for various compound bends, band saw, 5hp 2
stage compressor, plasma cutter and Miller TIG setup. When they went belly
up in 2000 I bought the above plus many smaller items (including a Henrob
2000 torch) for very little. Couldnt afford the big stuff (-;

When I retired in 2002 I brought the part time rod and custom shop in my
garage to full time and moved into a real building with employees and took
all the goodies out of storage from a friends barn. Sold that biz to the
shop manager 10 years later but still get to use the goodies and have built
many chassis.

Even the heavy duty larger Hammond aluminum chassis are only 16 gauge so if
you need support strength either add them underneath or go to steel. Their
small ones are 18 gauge.
Hammond steel chassis are 18 and 20 gauge.

Steel sheetmetal for a vintage vehicle is 16-21  gauge and the thinner
gauges can be handled with a homeowners size shear and brake. Heavier gauge
for aluminum
For amps it is a heck of a lot easier to build clamshell cases with the
lower half used to mount components as the manufacturers have been doing for
decades. Use a Hammond or LMB chassis for something small such as just
mounting a tube(s) on. You can also roll your own small chassis or build
using 2 sided copper PC board. Then dress all the soldered edges and paint,
and it looks factory made.

Carl
KM1H