[Amps] Making a broadband transformer

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 10:08:07 EST 2013

Bill,

I know very little about what it takes to build a solid-state amp, but I
have an experience to share that may be of help to you.

I have a broadband matching transformer on the input of my swamped-grid
dual-833C triode amp made from 3 stacked small binocular cores made of 73
material. It handles 100 watts continuous without hardly getting warm on
160m, and I've run 800 watts through similar transformers on 160 through 20
using heavily processed SSB (and possibly also CW) without exceeding the
Curie temperature (310 F). (I don't remember if tried it at higher
frequencies, but I think I did).

The actual grid input transformer in there now has three cores. This one
shows a two-core transformer that worked fine in the same place.
http://www.w0btu.com/files/misc/833C_linear_amplifier/
http://www.w0btu.com/files/misc/833C_linear_amplifier/100_4944.JPG

Here's the test photos --power vs. temperature-- of a similar transformer:
http://www.w0btu.com/files/misc/Binocular%20core%20power%20vs%20temp%20test/

Now, that material in that application should be good from 160 through 15
meters, after which the reactance goes up somewhat. For receiving (our
usual application) that's fine, but you'll have to experiment with it on 12
and 10 meters in your amp.

Fair-Rite P/N is 2873000202 (Amidon BN-73-202)

Trouble is, I don't know if Fair-Rite makes in the size and shape you might
need. But if they do, I'll bet #73 might work for you.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com