[Amps] Initial RF testing of 4CX1000A amplifier

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Wed Nov 6 13:54:41 EST 2013

Simpson meters are really nice but a little pricey for ham use. There are
imported Simpson knockoffs available from _www.bocatechnic.com_
(http://www.bocatechnic.com)  for a much lower  cost.

I have used these meters on a couple of projects and find them to be of
excellent construction and accuracy. Custom scales are available if needed. In
 one case, I needed a microampere movement with a milliampere scale and
they had  no problem with that.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 11/6/2013 10:09:43 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dezrat1242 at yahoo.com writes:

ORIGINAL  MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Wed, 6  Nov 2013 17:29:52 -0000, Ian wrote:

>Amateur amplifier builders may  be able to find a matching set of meters
>at reasonable  cost,

REPLY:

Simpson makes them in several styles and sizes and  of course, they match
other meters of the same style. Most of zero center  types are microammeters
rather than milliammeters, but they can be shunted,  and as you point out,
re-scaled with the Tonne software. Or, as I do, just  ignore the microamps
and read milliamps. 100-0-100 should work for most  tetrodes.

Mouser has them in the $90 USD range. A little expensive but  not much
compared to the overall cost of the amplifier.

The only  thing that ever failed on my homebrew amp was the voltmeter for
the
HV,  bought at a swap meet. After a few hours of operation something went
wrong  mechanically and the pointer refused to zero. I replaced it with a
Simpson.

I agree that matching meters from a swap meet might be very difficult  to
find.

73, Bill  W6WRT
Amps mailing  list
Amps at contesting.com