[Amps] AL-82 opinions

David Cole dave at nk7z.net
Wed Nov 6 20:58:17 EST 2013

Hi,

Having owned an SB-220, and an AL-82, I would take the 82 any day...

Here is why:

Good Points:

1.  Solid as a rock

2.  Full output on all bands, RTTY contesting

3.  Will do 10 Meters

4.  Easy to tune

5.  So far-- good on tubes

Bad Points:

1.  You should run it on 220, (Not really that bad, all decent
    amps should be)

2.  The band switch is a bit light...  If you move it while
    transmitting, you replace it.  I did not do this on a 220
    so I don't know how the 220 would react, probably the same
    way.

3.  Heavy as heck

4.  Noisy, but it moves a LOT of air across the tubes.

5.  Replacement of the band switch is a real pain in the rear...

Overall feelings towards the amp:
Very simple to use, easy tune up, solid as a rock.  I have used it in
Contest RTTY, and all it does is get warm...  Runs fine...  Beyond the
bandwidth switch issue, (which I caused), it has had zero issues for the
past 5 years of RTTY contesting.  It runs WAY cooler than a Heath 220
does in an RTTY contest.  Better air flow, the 82 used a pair of
chimneys, while the 220 I had did not have any.

I would buy it again over a Heath  any time, any day....

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net