[Amps] Question for the tetrode experts

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Thu Nov 7 21:53:07 EST 2013

   Now, here is something that has really puzzled me.
Plate, and grid dissipation is due to kinetic energy of the incident electrons striking the plate or grid and not
the secondary electrons emitted. So, if you have -10ma screen current at 300 volts, what is the screen dissipation?
It will not be -3 Watts or +3 Watts. Is the screen producing one secondary per incident electron or more? And how
many are be recaptured by the screen? When we have a negative current all we can determine is the net sum of the
secondary electrons that are captured by the plate and incident electrons striking the screen grid.
  The plate is easy, unless the screen grid is more positive than the plate all the plate's secondaries are recaptured.
Secondary electrons are just about always being produced by the plate.
   Screen emission is most likely due to secondaries and not due to thermal emission.
   There is some interesting physics going on in these tubes and I am not sure if there is a clear answer.
If currents and power inputs and outputs neatly match up with the data sheet we can assume things are just fine.
That is all we can really know for sure.

73
Bill wa4lav