[Amps] Best source for Gigavac GH-1 ?

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Mon Nov 11 08:47:04 EST 2013

Jim,
You've asked a very reasonable question. In many cases, when one is certain
RF will not arrive at the input of an amplifier until the amplifier is ready
to receive it, then relay sequencing is generally not necessary. Even in
that situation, however, I think it is a good idea to make certain the
ampifier has a proper load before it is biased on, since one could
potentially have an instability or parasitic in some situations if the amp
faces a momentary open circuit before its output relay closes. Relay
sequencing eliminates that risk, however remote.

More generally, however, good design practice suggests  that an amplifier
should be protected no matter what transceiver is connected to its input.
One shouldn't have to depend on the operator always choosing a correct menu
setting on a transceiver, or never transmitting accidentally at the wrong
time, or using a transceiver ill-suited to the amplifier's timing circuits.
Also, the point of QSK circuitry is to speed up the amplifier's turnaround
time, not slow it down. Adding a delay (with a menu setting) in a
transceiver may prevent hot-switching, but it does so at the expense of
making the amplifier response more sluggish..

A single "dit" at 40 wpm is about 50 mSec long, so a reasonable objective
for QSK is to make the turnaround about 10% that length, or 5 mSec.
Obviously, a transmit delay of 10 or 15 mSec is too pokey to meet that
requirement, as are most open frame T/R relays  To speed up the T/R
turnaround not only requires fast switching in the amplifer relay circuits,
but also optimizing the coordination between the transceiver and the
amplifier. Basically, one needs the shortest possible delay time (between a
key closing and the arrival of RF at the amplifier input), consistent with
the intrinsic turnaround time of the amplifer relays. If the entire
turnaround time is to be completed within 4 or 5 mSec, then very careful
attention to relay timimg, contact bounce, etc., is necessary. because one
is pushing the limits of what the equipment is capable of. When operating in
that regime, my view is that relay sequencing is a desirable feature.

My last point is that building proper relay sequencing into a QSK circuit is
easy and inexpensive, so why not do it? The component cost (not counting the
vacuum relays) is only about $10 for my preferred circuit, which is pretty
cheap protection!
73,
Jim W8ZR