[Amps] UHF Connectors

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Nov 11 14:02:35 EST 2013

On 11/11/2013 10:37 AM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
> Isn't "UHF Connector" an oxymoron?

The name dates from the '30s or early '40s.  No question that there's a
small discontinuity due to the Zo of the connector, but it certainly
doesn't matter below 50 MHz, and at higher frequencies is often swamped
by line loss.

Several years ago, I made up a dozen or so lengths of coax for a DX trip
using very low loss cable that I'd bought at a great price, surplus from
a telecom bankruptcy -- construction much like LMR400, except #10 solid
copper for the center, excellent braid/foil shield.  As a test, when I
was finished, I connected them all in series, about 1,200 ft, and
measured with HP generator and HP spectrum analyzer up to about 500 MHz.
I had about 23 83-1SPs and 11 or 12 barrels in line. The loss at 500 MHz
was less than the published spec for the cable. Loss was measured by
substitution (that is, differencing a short direct connection between
generator analyzer with the cable under test) at all of the test
frequencies.

73, Jim K9YC