[Amps] UHF CONNECTORS AND CRIMP DIES

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Nov 14 09:02:53 EST 2013

> When you look at the RFI Product Sheet for EACH coaxial connector, you are
> provided:
> Cable Group Type that connector is designed for (largely based on O.D. of
> coax cable);
> Coaxial Cable preparation (dimensions for proper insulation cutting);
> Crimp Dimension desired for Center and Outer conductor of coax cable.

Taking it a step further, I've not seen a manufacturer create a table that
matches the four important pieces of information needed to ensure the job is
completed correctly.  (1) RF connector P/N; (2) coax type; (3) die size; and
(4) multi-level stripper/prep tool(s) P/N.  The last one is sorely missing
from manufacturer's datasheets.  This would be great information to be
included on the ARRL website and/or in a future ARRL Handbook with matching
CD.

Until you can align these pieces of information together, crimping several
different connector/cable sizes can be very frustrating.  I've wasted many
connectors and many feet of coax over the years when I had to make guesses.

Paul, W9AC