[Amps] Bleeder resistor across screen grid terminal

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 29 17:49:57 EST 2013

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 18:08:19 -0700, K5PRO wrote:

>My point being, a stiff shunt R across screen grid is a good idea, not
>only from the standpoint of keeping the screen always terminated during
>switching, but also for circuit stability. I have done it both with and
>without the R, but these days I prefer having the shunt R there, and
>burn up some screen power from the supply.

REPLY:

It should be noted that the shunt R is only needed if you have a series type
screen regulator, which is probably the most common type. If you have a
shunt type screen regulator, the R is not needed PROVIDED the shunt
regulator draws enough idle current to supply all the secondary emission
current the screen will ever draw.

73, Bill W6WRT