[Amps] Regulations

Alex Eban alexeban at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 04:30:31 EDT 2013

	At some time in the past tube amplifiers enjoyed an effect dubbed
the 3/2 law. It had something to do with causing higher order IMD products
to increase slower than the mathematics predicted. The net result was that
they went down faster than the IM order predicted.
Unfortunately this doesn't happen with transistors, so that actually the
spurs crop up very quickly and unpleasantly.
Here is an extract from John Harper's very good paper:
	"The plate curves follow quite closely a 3/2 power law, in which the
current increases as a function of the 3/2 power of either the grid or the
plate voltage. This is especially true at high currents and in the lower
(closer to zero) range of grid voltage. While this is not linear, it is
closer to linearity than any solid-state amplifying device, which is the
main reason why tube amplifiers are nowadays often considered (and certainly
by most of you who will be reading this) to be sonically superior. At low
currents, especially as the grid becomes more negative, the 3/2 power law no
longer applies and the plate curves "tuck under" very noticeably. The curves
are not equally-spaced, even at high currents, but rather get closer
together as current increases. All of this is causes extra non-linearity and
distortion. This is more true for some tubes than for others, and later on
we will look at some of the reasons."
You can't beat physics!!
Alex	4Z5KS