[Amps] Electrical Distribution Methods

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Tue Oct 15 11:14:43 EDT 2013

Hi Paul, probably showing my ignorance here but isn't there a 120 degree
phase difference between any two legs of a three phase power distribution
system?

Seems that might pose a problem connecting the single primary of a
distribution transformer.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/15/2013 7:40:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
w9ac at arrl.net writes:

Peter,

That's a good explanation.

> With  Protective Multiple Earthing, provided there is enough distributed
>  grounding of the neutral, that isn't a problem.

That's an area of  concern of mine in one application of the U.S.
electrical
distribution  system.  Many of us have likely noticed that one terminal of
pole-mounted utility company residential split-phase transformer is
connected to one of three hot phases in a multi-phase distribution system
--
or single-phase distribution where the one hot phase is split  from an
upstream three-phase source.  In both cases, the primary  return is

It's unnerving to think that the bare copper bus wire that  runs down each
pole is really connected to many, many KV and the only  thing keeping a
barefooted kid safe when s/he touches an accidentally  lifted/unearthed
ground wire is that (hopefully) the MGN cable strand has  excellent
connectivity to earth on many poles up and downstream from the  pole in
question.  I understand as a matter of economics it must be  this way for
single-phase distribution as is common in rural areas.   But when a
240V/120V
split-phase transformer is hung on a three-phase  pole, why can't the
primary
connect between two phases instead of one  phase and the MGN?  I can't see
direct economic impact in this case  apart from perhaps better lightning
mitigation when one side of the  utility transformer primary is grounded.

Sorry for drifting the subject  off even further (notice the new subject
line) but it's been a nagging  question of mine.  In a past life, I was
Director of Engineering for  several telecom and broadband firms and this
issue was raised from  time-to-time (usually when a cable tech was injured)
with no clear answer  ever obtained from the utility companies.

Paul, W9AC