[Amps] Keying Kenwood TL922 with Yaesu FT1000D (both old guys)

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Oct 19 00:57:32 EDT 2013

On 10/18/2013 5:14 PM, Behiels JeanPierre wrote:
> Hi guys;
>
> Anyone could me put in the right way for next coming contest.
> Witch connection plug I best use on the back of the FT1000D for keying this old TL922.
> I saw that the Tl922 keying system has been modified so it could be keyed by means of a low power transistor.
> The keynig system of the FT1000D could not be damage by this setup !
> I useual do not handle with amplifiers in my ham carreer so poor expirience around hi..

That's froma about the time of keying changeover.  Some which still had
relays, did nor hane the current carying capacity needed for some amps.

I had an old Henry 4K that my 756 Pro keyed directly, just fine. I
picked up an Alpha 76A.  The first time I used it, it welded the relay
contacts in the 756 Pro closed.  Fortunately a good "whack" with a very
small hammer caused the contacts to open.  The next time I tried, it had
a solid state keying interface.  Pure luck that the relay was saved.

The manuals for the 1000D and the 922 should both have the keying
requirements listed.  Look at what they list for the 922. Can the 100D
handle that much directly.  If you don't have both manuals they should
be available on line.

Actually I prefer the digital versions as it's so much easier to just
enter the search terms and hit enter, rather than paging through manuals.

BTW I currently have the 756 Pro, a 1000D MK V, the old Alpha 76-A
quadra, and an FTDX5000NP with the Emtron DX2sp.

Both the Quadra and 76A need work, but they are a ways down the priority
list.  Too many projects to get finished outside.

73

Roger (K8RI)