[Amps] Keying Kenwood TL922 with Yaesu FT1000D (both old guys)

Bryan Swadener bswadener at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 19 16:55:07 EDT 2013

Hi Jim,

I got a larger number when simulating it using LTSpice (for the SB220). Of course,
measuring is always bestest but, even if there is significant error, 2.4A is a factor
of almost X10 more than the FT1000 can handle. Without measuring the current,
we don't know if there is anything that can mitigate the current pulse. While Rich
Measures suggests a couple hundred ohms be added, someone else suggested to
use the highest value that still allows the relays to reliably pull in.

Back EMF kick is also a concern.  A diode across the relay coils dispenses with that
or, some other method of clamping the voltage could be used.

Better yet, it would be best for Jean to rip it all out and replace it with FAST relays
and your board. :)

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC