[Amps] S/S Amp's

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Sep 13 02:12:17 EDT 2013

On 9/12/2013 9:49 PM, Carl wrote:
> By using the Exalted AM method that goes back 70 years you dont need a
> fancy radio.
>
> Modify the BFO for variable injection level and connect to the last IF
> thereby maintaining AGC. Its almost as good as a sync detector for
> selective fading and its easier to follow a slightly drifting carrier.

My first transmitter after earning the General was a Ranger used with an
old S-40B. I'd zero beat an SSB conversation and use PPT In time with my
sentences.  I talked with the one group for about a week before someone
mentioned I had a bit of carrier on my signal.  No one ever complained
about bandwidth or the "unwanted".

When I explained I was running a Ranger on AM with a fast PPT thumb,
there was a lot of laughter.  I was copying SSB using the BFO on the old
S-40B to inject a carrier at the receiver.

73

Roger (K8RI)