[Amps] S/S Amp's

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Fri Sep 13 13:05:10 EDT 2013

  What became known as Exalted AM was really a technique that was used
back in the later spark era days once they developed nearly CW sources.
In fact that is where the term local oscillator and BFO came from. They discovered
if an oscillator near the frequency you were receiving was coupling into the diode detector,
you not only had a beat tone but the sensitivity increased over 100 times sometimes up to
500 times. This was because the detector was being over driven to saturation during have
of the oscillator cycle and was behaving as a RF switch. It was performing more as a
product detector rather than a square law detector. In fact Marconi Patented the first
balanced product detector in 1916. It used a buzzer and high Q tank circuit for the BFO or
Local Oscillator. Local oscillator means an oscillator near the detector.
  By the way, another interesting fact, unrelated, Hertz discovered the photo electric effect
before 1900.

73
Bill wa4lav