[Amps]  Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp,

peter chadwick g8on at fsmail.net
Fri Sep 27 16:35:38 EDT 2013

Bill,

As I understand it - and quite likely I' m wrong - with a normal rectifier and input C, the rectifiers draw current only when the transformer volts exceed the reservoir capacitor volts. This puts a large harmonic component on the input which isn't in phase. Using a switching  'boost inverter' allows the supply current to effectively see a resistive load.

I know the people at Alpha were telling me that meeting EU requirements was difficult with a usual transformer/ rectifier/capacitor supply, but I don't know how they got over that.

With some years of professional experience regarding EU requirements and their development, I personally feel that the Commission people have all demonstrated that they are a useless load of idiotic incompetents, busily trying to legislate things they do not understand.......

thank heavens I've retired.....

 Message Received: Sep 27 2013, 05:04 PM