[Amps] ALS-600 vs ALS-1300

Roger roger at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Apr 13 19:59:51 EDT 2014

On 4/10/2014 8:22 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
> ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)
>
> On 4/10/2014 2:06 PM, Kevin Stover wrote:
>> Unlike some tube amps solid state amps don't suffer fools lightly
>
> REPLY:
>
> Certainly true, and the "fools" label applies to both designers and users.

Do the 600s work well?  If so, there is nothing wrong with using a pair
of them with dividers and combiners. It's a very good way to double the
power.  Put 4 together and run them conservatively.  It might improve
the IM.  OTOH that's a lot of current out of a PS.

Most higher powered SS amps are 2 or 4 individual PP amps/sections tied
together with combiners.  It works well with 2-meter amps  There used to
be one that had 4 sections and ran 600 watts. I had one for a while. The
original owner talked me into selling it back to him.  At times I wish
I'd kept it.

You can do the same with 2-meter amps. Just disable the keying in one
and let the remaining one key both.  You do have to keep the phasing
such that the signal from one doesn't get back into the input of the
other and you end up with a high powered flip flop and the amps have to
be identical for the simplest setup.

73

Roger (K8RI)