[Amps] Filter capacitors

Robert Logan via Amps amps at contesting.com
Tue Apr 22 20:05:31 EDT 2014

Very thoughtful, Carl.  Thank you.  Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 22, 2014, at 4:52 PM, "Carl" <km1h at jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

It all depends on what they are used for....

If its capacitor input followed by a choke the output will be higher, especially at low or no load. Sometimes tube rectifiers or something else will complain. For SS the inrush may hurt wimpy diodes.

If choke input the output B+ wont raise much as the bleeder current holds it down, ripple will be reduced and regulation better.

If its just a simple C only PS the no to full load regulation will be better and ripple less; more inrush current.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Logan via Amps" <amps at contesting.com>