[Amps] Filament Growth Question

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sun Apr 27 00:19:01 EDT 2014

Matt
You are likely correct that grain refinement is leading to brittleness
in old filaments. I don't understand the metallurgy. 20 years ago I
heard from RCA that high anode dissipation led to grain growth in the
copper anode which then would fail to the point where water could leak
into vacuum. I also have some photos of filaments made with electron
microscopy and they appear to have enlarged grains.