[Amps] Auto tune conversion using stepper motors?

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sun Apr 27 08:57:29 EDT 2014

Actually, Peter, I think microswitches would be pretty difficult to
implement, since vacuum variables are mult-turn devices. I know there were
commercial ETO MRI amplifiers that used vacuum variables, and their homing
mechanism used a stack of interlocking plates that were indexed so that
after ten rotations, a small detent on the top plate in the stack ran into a
stop and tripped a microswitch. The technique worked but was pretty complex.
Air variables are usually initialized by attaching a thin metal disk with a
slot or hole to the shaft, and using an LED and a photoransistor to detect
the closed capacitor.
73,
Jim W8ZR