[Amps] AL-82

Bill and Liz magoo at isp.ca
Sat Dec 13 11:06:12 EST 2014

After I purchased my AL-82 I discovered that someone had replaced the original parasitic suppressors with the nichrome wire/3 resistors per unit type.  I have had no problems but the resistors become VERY hot at even 400W on 10M and have started falling apart.  At powers higher than 400W I actually smell them!

Was there anything wrong with the original suppressors or did someone just get carried away and replace them because it seemed the “in” thing to do?  I am thinking of making a set of “originals” and installing them so I can occasionally operate 10M without fear of having those resistors burn out.

Bill VE3NH