[Amps] AL-82

Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP/K2VCO k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 11:34:56 EST 2014

By all means, replace them. All that heat is power that would otherwise
be transmitted. If the resistors actually are falling apart, the
amplifier might become unstable. The originals are fine.

There is no advantage to using nichrome wire in the inductive part of a
parasitic suppressor.

On 13 Dec 2014 18:06, Bill and Liz wrote:
> After I purchased my AL-82 I discovered that someone had replaced the
> original parasitic suppressors with the nichrome wire/3 resistors per
> unit type.  I have had no problems but the resistors become VERY hot
> at even 400W on 10M and have started falling apart.  At powers higher
> than 400W I actually smell them!
>
> Was there anything wrong with the original suppressors or did someone
> just get carried away and replace them because it seemed the “in”
> thing to do?  I am thinking of making a set of “originals” and
> installing them so I can occasionally operate 10M without fear of
> having those resistors burn out.
>
> Bill VE3NH

Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
Rehovot, Israel