[Amps] Solid State Relays Again

Jim W7RY w7ry at centurytel.net
Sun Feb 9 22:13:56 EST 2014

I just had a solid state relay in my 8877 power supply short during the
RTTY contest this weekend.
I use 2 relays, one to short out the step start resistor, and the other
one for the other leg of the plate transformer.  Both are controlleed by
the WD7S triode board.

The one that shorted is was NOT the step start resistor shorting relay.

They are both Crydom D2440. They have been around a while because the
defective one has a date code of 9425.

Just trying to do some research and thinking of switching to mechanical
relays.
I looked at the archives and read a debate between Ian and Paul about
this exact subject. Any new thoughts?

73
Jim W7RY