[Amps] QRO operation into a 80 meter vertical

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Feb 21 10:05:34 EST 2014

Most hams dont have that benefit Peter but I'll bet that a screen at the
base will still improve the efficiency. Something like a 2x4" grid "rabbit
fencing" with all connections welded, then hot dip galvanized, and then
dipped in plastic.

With 60+  60-150' radials for a 100' shunt fed tower for 160 with a 4el
Christmas Tree top load, which resonated around 1520 KHz, I was many layers
down in working any DX with 1200W. Adding 4 spokes of 4' x 50' mesh and
interconnecting everything I was cracking pileups on one call many times and
blew thru DXCC in one season. The ground was glacial sand with a fresh water
table about 4' down....totally useless.

When I moved here on top of the hill at about 550' higher, I didnt even
waste time trying radials on the ground since solid granite was only about
1-2' down. Elevated radials were the key. Im up to 98 DXCC with 5W and 18
with 100 milliwatts on Topband and over 300 total.

Carl
KM1H