[Amps] QRO operation into a 80 meter vertical

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Feb 27 00:17:31 EST 2014

On 2/21/2014 6:25 AM, Mark Beckwith wrote:
> How do you measure current in radials (Sorry I'm sure that's a dumb
> question, but I don't know how to measure current in radials).

In addition to K2VCO's response, let's add another dimension to the
question. A radial is part of the antenna, and like any antenna, the
current varies along the antenna (near zero at the open end, maximum a
quarter wave from the end). There's plenty of published work (careful
good science) showing that the current in most real world radial systems
does not divide equally between the radials, but depends on what's near
each radial. I've learned a lot studying N6LF's excellent website on the
topic of radial systems. Something like ten years ago, I also found some
great stuff on the ARRL website where a couple of guys measured current
at many points along multiple radials. I don't know if it's still there.

73, Jim K9YC