[Amps] Working on my Darwin award

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Sun Feb 23 23:11:15 EST 2014

I built an amp using a pair of 813's.  One time I was working on it and
and had disconnected the power supply to work on the amp part.

When I turned it back on, I heard this buzzing noise in the receiver and
the amp wasn't working.  I had a D-104 mic in my hand that I was going
to use to key the exciter but things weren't working.

I reached over to touch the toggle switch on the amp to turn it off, and
I became the ground return from the power supply.  It knocked me
backwards and I touched the hot water heater (which was in the shack)
and became the ground return again.  I took the B+ twice in about 5 seconds.

The power supply had a 2500 volt transformer in it.  When I hooked the
B+ back up to the amp, I neglected to hook the ground wire from the
power supply to the amp.  I was really glad I just touched it with the
end of my finger and didn't grab onto something.

Sure gave me a respect for HV.  73
Tom W7WHY