[Amps] Building an Amp 101

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Fri Jan 17 11:05:09 EST 2014

Hello Jerry:

Decades ago, when I was as poor as a church mouse, I wanted to do some
build some wooden cabinets.  But all I had was a circular saw and could
not cut a board straight.  I knew that I needed a table saw, but did not
have enough money (Craigslist had not been invented yet).  I saw a base
unit in Popular Mechanics for $19.95 and bought it.  However, it needed
a wooden stand and platform.  So, that was the problem.  I needed the
table saw to build the table for the base.  And, it had to be exact, but
all I had was the circular saw. So, I was forced to measure very
precisely and use aids to make sure my cuts were straight.  With care,
the table was built and came out perfectly.  Just before I plugged it in
to try it out, it dawned on me that I had proved to myself that I did
not need the table saw. All I needed was to take care in my work.

Since then, I have acquired a nice woodworking shop, a number of metal
lathes and milling machines and am just learning to use my CNC mill.

I am now building an airplane with a couple friends.  We needed to cut
holes in the skin for controls to come through.  Some were arcs.  I
designed a portable milling machine to cut surface holes for the
straight holes and it works great.  But, it did not work for the arcs.
But, using a drill and file, we made the arc perfectly, and it looks as
good as my milled hole.

With basic tools and a strategy, you can do excellent work and have
great pride in construction.

But, please do not use Dymo tape for the labels.  New and inexpensive
labelers are marvelous.

73,  Colin  K7FM