[Amps] 811H pops fuses

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Mon Jan 20 11:57:58 EST 2014

Hi Bill

I took the caps out.  Two of them looked like they should - put the VOM
across them and the needle deflected, then slowly came back on the VOM.  The
other two went to zero ohms and stayed there, no matter which lead went
where.  73
Tom W7WHY

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

n 1/19/2014 7:46 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
> Well - found the problem.  Got 2 shorted filter caps.

REPLY:

Not wanting to second-guess you Tom, but that's a little suspicious,
although not impossible.

First are you sure they are shorted? Did you disconnect everything from
them so they are "floating"? And second, what is the actual ohms
measurement? Even a good electrolytic will not show an open circuit.
There is always some high value of resistance.

I spent 20 years troubleshooting things with electrolytic caps in them.
It's easy to be fooled. Been there, done that.

73, Bill W6WRT