[Amps] damping resistances

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sat Jul 19 17:18:02 EDT 2014

But now we are getting far away from the typical ham amp tube where the
damping resistance is simply part of the parasitic suppressor and that
resistors true purpose is to stop a parasitic from even forming. The coil is
self resonant hopefully near the known parasitic frequency and the resistor
is the load of a very low Q circuit. Ideally it should not absorb any
parasitic power since it wont even start.

In some amps, such as the SB-220 family, the so called VHF choke RFC-2 is
self resonant close to the 3-500Z parasitic and invites fireworks. Replacing
it with a true wirewound "glitch" resistor serves a double purpose....snubs
the VHF energy on the B+ line and limits discharge current during a tube gas
arc.

With HF and low VHF SS a ferrite bead and 1-2 turns at the input serves as
the damper. At microwave/millimeterwave a small piece of ferrite sheet is
placed over the over the input microstrip for the same purpose, plus as a
brute force impedance matcher. I spent years of R&D lab time getting a
circuit stable enough that it could be manufactured and production tech
tuned with a minimum amount of time. There is still a bit of black magic
involved at those frequencies; Ive been as high as 300 GHz with DoD aviation
electronics.

Taming a glass tube on HF or 6M is childs play (-:

Carl
KM1H