[Amps] Cool Amp Silver Plating

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sat Mar 1 15:57:44 EST 2014

We use it often at work. It's expensive. It doesn't do squat for
improving the conductivity of surfaces like cavities and inductors for
RF current, as Peter pointed out. That requires at least 3 to 5 times
the skin depth which is less than 0.001" at 2 meters. At 200 MHz, where
I have been working for the past 5 years on cavity HPAs, I use 0.006"
of electroplated silver with very good success.

Cool amp gives a very thin layer of silver. But it is useful to reduce
contact resistance, such as where a center conductor of a connection
must press against another. Or where you need to have a roller or wiping
contact, with minimal force applied. Or in a bolted contact where you
want to reduce the contact resistance. It is intended for AC and DC
power applications for reducing resistance of contacts.
73
John
K5PRO