[Amps] SHV Connectors and B-

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Mar 13 09:01:46 EDT 2014

> "Over the past several years I have been recommending 5-pin XLR
connectors between the amplifier controller (assumed to be part of the
RF deck) and a remote HV PSU. The aim is to keep the HV-minus, control
and ground connections all together, so that the HV PSU cannot be
enabled separately without that connector plugged in."

XLR connectors are excellent for their electrical and mechanical
reliability.  In my case, I'm thinking of using two connectors between the
amp and PS.  The first will pass B+ through a chassis SHV connector.  The
second must pass 240V to the HV transformer as well as relay control for the
HV Lo/Hi setting.  In looking at suitable connectors, I'm leaning toward a
20A 8-pin Cinch-Jones or possibly a Mil-Type ITT/Canon/Amphenol multi-pin
connector.   A female chassis connector would be installed on the PS, and a
recessed male chassis connector placed on the RF deck.  With 8-pins, I can
double-up on 240V and ground wiring.  In doing so, an accidental pull of
that plug will kill the AC primary and B+ would bleed down in several
seconds.  I could see placing the B- to chassis diode at the PS as well as
leaving the existing diode inside the RF deck.

Since the PS will not have its own AC power plug, I would be depending on
the double-ground pass through the Cinch-Jones connector.  I can add a
ground bolt to the PS chassis, but I want to ensure safe operation without
having to depend on that bolt.  The ground pass-through seems adequate to
me.  Anyone see other issues?

One issue I'm wrestling with is the the base design of the PS cabinet.  I'm
leaning toward designing my own cover panels in software but the Dahl 2A CCS
transformer weighs 86 lbs.  I can order cut steel plates or just stack two
steel relay rack panels to help support the transformer weight.  Maybe Jim
and/or Vic can chime in on this.  2A is overkill and I'll inquire if they
can drop the weight down by custom winding it with a 1.2A or maybe 1.5A spec
at 3200V.  That will result in about 4.3KV on the plate.

Just got the quote back from Hoyt on the 250-degree panel meters.  Ready for
this?  USD $400 ea. x 4 = $1600 for the set.   Pricing includes custom
legends and back-illumination.  Simpson wasn't much better at $325 ea.  They
do look cool though...

Paul, W9AC