[Amps] SHV Connectors and B-

Vic Rosenthal K2VCO k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 11:39:37 EDT 2014

What I did in my tetrode amp was to put an 0.25 ohm 50 watt resistor in
the power supply box between the negative output of the power supply and
ground. This was clamped with 6A10s both in the power supply and at the
point where the control cable plugs into the amplifier. Maximum plate
current is 1.5A, so that corresponds to a voltage of 0.375V.

I was concerned that RF might be picked up on the metering line and be
rectified by the diodes, so I heavily bypassed it at both ends, and the
control cable is shielded. I didn't notice any problem, but I can see
how this could be a concern, especially at 160 meters. Multiple parallel
bypass capacitors are required -- note that the reactance of an 0.1 uf
capacitor at 1.8 MHz is about 0.9 ohms! Luckily the voltage is low at
this point so the capacitors can be physically small.

I learned my lesson about meter protection the hard way when I
accidentally grounded the screen in my previous amplifier: back-to-back
diodes directly across a meter do not necessarily protect it, and it's
necessary to arrange the circuit so that the diodes will start to
conduct when the current through the meter is no more than about 1.5
times full scale.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/