[Amps] Using computer CPU coolers on GI46b triode ?

Jeff Blaine via Amps amps at contesting.com
Sat May 10 22:12:18 EDT 2014

The CPUL cooler used as a heatspreader with an external fan may work.  You
can test it by running the amp for a bit and using a non-contact IR to
measure the tube at the interface between the cooler and the tube.  Try to
keep that below 200C if you can manage it.

I run heat spreaders made from some heatsink material that was cut and
machined for the purpose.  Started out with huge dual blocks that really
sucked the heat our of the GI7B.  The problem was the parasitic cap was so
high it made for a tough pi-net configuration given the spacings available.
Ended up cutting further back a couple of times to address the parasitcs.
And amazingly enough, the tube temp did not rise much leading me to conclude
that even in the smaller configuration there was enough air flow and cooler
surface area to keep the tubes from overheating even at 350W Pd.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie