[Amps] HV Diodes

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Oct 8 07:04:39 EDT 2014

The original Semtech SCH5000 "SLIMPAC" diodes as used in the 77Sx/Dx are
only current-rated at 0.5A/5KV PIV.

http://www.semtech.com/images/datasheet/schx.pdf

I see several microwave oven diode blocks available with a rating of
5KV/0.9A.   Even a string of 1N4007 diodes (4 x 5 diodes) would be a
reasonable equivalent to the SCH5000 and manufacturing QC is pretty tight
for new diodes.

On the big auction site, one U.S. seller has a set of four 7.5KV/1A blocks
for about USD $20.  Search "2CLG 7500V"  These appear to be a near drop-in
fit for the SCH5000.

BTW, the SCH5000 are still original in my 77Dx and 44 year-old 70V.  Either
they are adequate for the job - or I'm living a charmed life.

Paul, W9AC